• Users Online: 185
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 28-33

Retrospective study of maxillofacial trauma in Alexandria University: Analysis of 177 cases


Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Lydia N Melek
16 Ahmed Tayseer Street, Asafra Bahary, Alexandria
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1687-8574.186943

Rights and Permissions

Purpose The aim of the present study was to analyze retrospectively the age and sex distribution, etiology, and location of mandibular and midface fractures in a sample of patients from the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department, Alexandria University, Egypt. Patients and methods The data for this study were obtained from the medical records of 177 cases treated at the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department, Alexandria University, from April 2010 to August 2011. Results The total number of patients with maxillofacial trauma presenting to the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department, during the period from April 2010 to August 2011 was 177 patients. The male population was more frequently affected compared with the female population, males were more frequently affected than females, where males accounted for 82% (145 patients) and females accounted for 18% (32 patients) of the study population with a ratio of 4.5:1. The ages of the patients in the study population ranged from 1.5 to 75 years, with a mean of 25.56 ΁ 14.04 years. Road traffic accident (RTA) was the most common cause of trauma, accounting for 77.97% (138) of cases. A total of 103 cases had isolated mandibular fractures, 54 cases had midface fractures only, and 20 patients had mandibular fractures associated with midface fractures. The most common site in mandibular fractures was the parasymphysis (40.64%; 63 fractures), and zygomaticomaxillary complex fractures were the most common, accounting for 70.13% (54 fractures) of midface fractures. Most of the fractures were treated by means of open reduction and internal fixation using plates (144 cases; 81.36%), whereas the remaining 33 (18.64%) cases were treated conservatively by means of closed reduction. The duration of hospital stay ranged from 0 to 26 days, with an average of 7.34 ΁ 4.64 days. Conclusion RTAs are the main etiological factor in maxillofacial injuries occurring in Alexandria, with men between 21 and 45 years of age being affected predominantly. Preventive strategies remain the best way to reduce the sequelae of RTAs.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed169    
    Printed4    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded46    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal